Sunday, April 29, 2012

Blog Post 13 Am I a techno junkie?

I have been tasked to see if I can go 24 hours without using any electrons or electrical appliances for a period of 24 hours. I began Blog Post 13's assignment on Tuesday April 24th. As I started the clock, I began to think about how I'm going to accomplish this task. My biggest hurdle is going to be my cell phone, especially in the car. I am so accustomed to merely pushing an accept button to receive calls. In order to avoid any mishaps, the first thing I will do is turn off my cell phone. The time starts now.....(2:45p.m.) 4:18p.m.- My first start over just occur. It took this long for me to realize that I'm in rush hour traffic with the radio on at full blast. I've also caught myself several times reaching for my cell phone to check for messages and to break up an irritating silence during my commute home. 4:35p.m.- I arrived home, entered my bedroom, and immediately reached for the remote to turn on the television. I caught myself. 8:00p.m.- On the way home from my 6:00 class at USA, I thought about dinner. I couldn't remember all of my many restrictions in this assignment but I knew I couldn't use the microwave. I decided to stop by my mother's house to eat what she prepared. I procrastinated for an hour in order to keep from having to spend so much time in a completely quiet house. My son is a student attending Alabama State University. This is usually the time I call or text him and also confirm that he has received the weekly money transfer to his pre-paid card. Daniel will just have to wait another day for this but, what if I could never have these types of transactions with him. I'd have to ask my parents what they did because really, just the thought has me baffled. 4:00a.m.- Normally, I am awakened by the alarm on my cell phone, set for 4:30a.m. My phone was still powered off and luckily for me, the sound of the garbage truck woke me up 30 minutes earlier. Although I had a 30 minute jump start, I left the house 18 minutes later than usual. Normally,I get dressed while I listen to the news. This helps me to stay on schedule and get out the door by 6:00a.m. Yet, without the television, even with a 30 minute head start, I was running 18 minutes behind schedule. 7:15a.m.-3:00p.m.- During the course of my work day, I am required to use the computer to post attendance and enter grades. This was unavoidable. Rather than leaving work at 3;00P.M., I stayed until 4:00p.m. By the time I arrived home, the torture was over. I succeeded!!!! As I reflect on the last 24 hours, I feel very proud of myself for getting through it. I am glad it was just a trial and not a reality. I didn't worry too much about giving up the use of Face Book because I had recently fasted for 21 days where FB was my sacrifice. The other hours spent without the use of electronics, I found to be crucifying. I often times felt detached from society. Some may call the use of electronics an addiction, especially the cell phone. I agree that talking and texting is an addiction for me but the new smart phone features that have been added in the last 5 years, such as online banking, scheduling and messaging, are totally necessary in order to function in this new age of technology. Am I a techno junkie? I'm not a junkie if I'm not over indulging, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment